Tuesday 29 May 2012

Where would you like to perform?

(The Tempest performed by University of Brighton BA (Hons) Students, June 2007)



Many long time readers of this blog will know that I studied at the University of Brighton and gained my BA in Theatre Arts, in fact that fellow in the green with the shaggy hair above is me, with the initial aim of becoming a professional actor. For a multitude of reasons I have not gone down the route of finding an agent and slogged away like so many young promising talents, many of them my friends, but I still hold in my heart a desire to perform and some of the goals I wished to fulfill as a performer. For many years in this country it has been many performers wish to perform at the RSC, for me this was the same. At the age of 18 all I wanted from my professional life was a walk on part at the RSC, whether it was at the Barbican or in Stratford-Upon-Avon I did not care, it was all I dreamed of and hoped for. I never wanted to be top of the bill or a feted Shakespearian actor, I just wanted to be an ensemble player. Since leaving University my tastes have changed with age, initially I wanted to walk the stage at the National Theatre but now my dreams are of the Globe theatre in London. To perform on the Elizabethan stage there just once would mean more to me than all the lead roles, all the lines, all the good reviews I have recieved during my performing life. So for me the Globe is my goal... but I have to ask which venue would you wish to perform at?

No comments:

Post a Comment