Sunday 13 May 2012

Magic tricks are theatre 1

Since a very young age I have loved magic tricks. Paul Daniels was on television all the time when I was younger and his energy and funny voice, I was a child I thought his voice was funny, suckered me in and then voila he would dazzle me with some illusion. I have since seen him live twice and have always enjoyed being tricked by magicians and illusionists. Magic tricks are obviously a huge part of theatre as the greatest special effects have generally begun as tricks designed by magicians over the years for their stage shows. I will not go into detail about magic as I am just a fan but I will be on occasion posting videos of tricks I have seen that have obviously been used outside the magicians act, generally in the theatre. The first is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen, its a floating light bulb that lights up despite not being attached to any power source... that's fine I could probably explain that (if I wanted to ruin the fun) but the floating part... it is just insane... if you don't believe me just watch.

I give you Harry Blackstone Jr and the Floating light bulb illusion (the video is from 1977 but he had apparently been performing it since 1962)


I believe part of this illusion has recently been used in the Broadway Musical 'The Addams Family.'


No comments:

Post a Comment