Friday 4 May 2012

Can you remember the first time the theatre took you on a magical trip?

So today I was reading the novel 'Captain Alatriste' by Arturo Perez-Reverte and in it the narrator of the story describes how as a boy he attended his first play. The play is written by the great Spanish writer Felix Lope de Vega and his use of verse greatly affects the boy. I found this part of this wonderful book very true to life, at least it is true to my experience, and would like to share the passage with you:

'Everything around me vanished; I was completely absorbed in the words coming from the mouths of the actors. Within minutes I was transported to El Arenal, madly in love with Laura, and wishing I had the gallantry of Captains Fajardo and Castellanos, and that I were the one crossing swords with the bailiffs and catchpoles before sailing off in the king's Armada...'

Now I do not know about you but I understand where the boy is coming from. For me the first time theatre took me on a truly magical ride when I watched it was when I was ten years old. I had seen several pantomimes by then and had already taken up amateur dramatics as a hobby and found it all to be a bit fun and to me that's all the theatre could be, a bit of fun. Then for my tenth birthday my Father spoilt me rotten, as he is one to do with me and my sister, and bought me tickets to see Starlight Express at the Victoria Apollo London. He had seen the original production with my Mother during the 80s and knew that the train theme and rolling skating would get me all excited... he was right. Many people look down their noses at Starlight Express but the ten year old in me remembers the melodies I heard that night, the sound of the wheels on the stage, the passion the performers gave and I was hooked. I lost all sense of reality and for two hours I was a train or a coach or a box car cheering Rusty on in his quest to find the Starlight Express and win both the race and the heart of the pretty Pearl. Even today I lose myself when I watch a good show, I become a part of the action in my mind, something I never have when watching television or film, but the first time was with Starlight Express. I guess my question to all of you out there reading this is:

Which show first caught your imagination at the theatre?

Please leave your comments and answers below.

To purchase 'Captain Alatriste' please click here.

To see Vigo Mortensen playing 'Captain Alatriste' please click here.

To see what all the fuss is about to ten year old me in regards to Starlight Express please click here and then to see the highlights from the German show click here.

Have fun and thanks for reading.

Xtofer

No comments:

Post a Comment